President & CEO
Director of Festival of Nations
||Employed at the International Institute since: September 1978
||Department/Function Overseen: Working in partnership with the Board of Directors, determines agency goals and strategies; sets policy and oversees implementation of procedures; prioritizes needs and allocates resources; and ensures a fiscally sound and well-operated agency. Determines overall staff organization; integrates agency services and programs; and oversees agency community, public relations and fund-raising programs.
||Education: BA, Political Science: Washington University, MO
Since 2000: Annual recognition by St. Louis Business Journal on its Most Influential St. Louisans list.
- 2015: White House "Champion of Change" for World Refugee Day
- 2014: St. Louis Mosaic Award, St. Louis Economic Development Partnership
- 2013: Most Influential Business Women, St. Louis Business Journal
- 2013: Top 100 St. Louisans to Know, St. Louis Small Business Monthly
- 2013: Community Service Award, Niagara Foundation-St. Louis Chapter Peace & Dialogue Award
- 2012: Global Ambassador Award, World Trade Center, St. Louis County Economic Council.
- 2012: Anthony B. Ramirez “Esperanza Award,” Hispanic Leaders Group.
- 2012: Sisters of Loretto Award, celebrating their 200th anniversary.
- 2012: Lifetime Achievement Award, Interfaith Legal Services for Immigrants
- 2011: Distinguished Fair Housing Service Award, City of St. Louis Civil Rights Enforcement Agency.
- 2011: Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Hispanic Business Advocate of the Year Award.
- 2011: St. Louis Children's Hospital Community Advocate of the Year
- 2011: Hellenic Spirit Athena Award
- 2010: YWCA Leader Lunch Awardee: Racial Justice
- 2009: FOCUS St. Louis Board of Directors “What’s Right with the Region” Leadership Award.
- 2006 and 2008: Biennial recognition by St. Louis Magazine on its “St. Louis’ Most Powerful People” list.
- 2007: St. Louis Business Journal’s “St. Louis Minority Business Leader Award” list.
- 2006: St. Louis Alive Magazine’s “Buzz List: 25 of St. Louis’ Most Talked-About Visionaries, Culture Shapers & Influentials.”
- 2005: D.H., Washington University (honorary doctor of humanities).
- 2002: Brotherhood-Sisterhood Award, National Council for Community and Justice (NCCJ).
- 2001: Norman A. Stack Community Relations Award, Jewish Community Relations Council of St. Louis.
- 1999: Community Citizen Award for St. Louis from the William T. Kemper Foundation and Commerce Bancshares.
- 1995: Shaw Neighborhood Person of the Year
- 1992: D.H.L., Webster University (honorary doctor of humane letters).
- 1985/86: Leadership St. Louis Program (Danforth Foundation).
Community Involvement (current only)
St. Louis Mosaic Project: Steering Committee-City of St. Louis & St. Louis County; STL Regional Chamber Board of Directors; National Asian Pacific Centers for Aging (NAPCA) Board of Directors; Dean's Professional Advisory Committee, George Warren Brown School of Social Work-Washington University; International Affairs Committee-UM/St. Louis; STL Forum; Kappa Kappa Gamma Alumni Association; Asian American Chamber of Commerce of STL; and Japanese American Citizens League.