Economic Developement Department Volunteer Needs
Program & Purpose of Position
Tax-Aide provides free personal income tax assistance and preparation to low- and moderate-income taxpayers, with special attention to those with limited English. The Client Facilitator (CF) works with the Tax Coordinator (TC) and performs receptionist-type duties providing an important first contact for clients and keeping service orderly and efficient.
Responsibilities of Position
In accordance with by the policies and procedures a CF:
- Welcomes clients and ensures they are helped in an appropriate order and checked off an appointment log or sequenced on the site sign-in sheet to be assisted by a Counselor.
- Ensures that each client has brought correct forms and documents required to accurately complete their tax return.
- Assists clients in filling out portions of the Intake Sheet and other required papers.
- Keeps information (such as waiting time) flowing to clients who are in the waiting area.
- Ensures appropriate production data is entered
- Distribution any appropriate literature to clients.
- Complies with the Confidentiality and Security of Taxpayer data document. This document is included in the Counselor Digest, Technology Management Guide, Policy Manual, and Extranet.
Time, Training, & Travel
The position runs during the standard 1040 processing season from late January through April 15th every Tuesday and Wednesday of the week. An average of at least one shift each week is required during this period. A typical shift takes five hours.
Three hours of training by the LC will be required to become familiar with program policy, administrative matters such as site sign-in sheets, Intake and Quality Review Form, applicable site procedures, and orientation to the program.
Volunteers will receive equal opportunity and treatment throughout recruitment, appointment, training, and service. There will me no discrimination based on age, disabilities, gender, race, national or ethnic origin, religion, economic status, or sexual orientation.
Education Department Volunteer Needs
All volunteer opportunities in the Ed. Department require a 3 month minimum volunteer commitment (except for Citizenship Mock Interviewers), one or more times per week. Classes run year-round.
For more information about the classes, job descriptions, and time commitments, click here.
Teach key information to pass the naturalization interview as modeled by a lead instructor. Available times: Monday-Wednesday, 1-3:30 pm; Monday-Wednesday, 6-8:30 pm; Citizenship TAs needed for Thursday and Friday mornings 9:00am-12:00pm. Limited availability.
Simulate the citizenship interview experience through guided questions that cover the English language skills required to successfully pass the naturalization interview. Variety of times throughout the year.
Teach key information to pass the naturalization interview over the phone. (depends on student availability)
Youth Program Volunteer Needs